Sunday 22 April 2012

Grateful: Little rituals

Photo from here


Tonight. Every night.

We sit together in your quiet, dimmed room. Snuggle in tight and share a smile. Happily you drink your warm milk. I breathe in your babyness.

Your hand reaches high and twirls around your bushfire blonde hair. That hand. Open, calm, trusting, new.  Reaching only to the top of your head, underlining your littleness. I want to burn the memory of your palm into my brain so I never forget THIS moment. And for when you are grown and want to borrow the car.

Little fingers intertwine with mine as you suckle. Enough. Time for cuddles. You find your spot on my bosom and rest your head, looking up with delight as I sing for you. Reaching for my lips, you giggle softly as I blow raspberries on the tips of your fingers. Your head falls heavily against my chest once more. I stand and cuddle you, hold you tight. Tell you how much I love you, as I do every night. Now, my heart sings.

You curl to your side as I place you in your cot. Bunny is here; soft ears. 'Goodnight, sweet dreams', I say. You smile and hold your hand up to wave.

That hand. My hope. My Gem. My love.


I'm linking up with Maxabella's 52 weeks of grateful. And I'm grateful for that too!

12 comments:

  1. A beautifully written memory. makes me clucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's these moments that make it all worthwhile!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Such a pleasure to share that moment with you.

    Welcome back.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my fresh start, Bron. Thanks for the chance to link up.

      Delete
  3. So beautifully captured - what a precious moment to etch in your memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to write it out. I didn't trust my memory to work without some help. Thank you for your visit.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, enjoy your nightly rituals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! So precious. Great reminder to enjoy the bed-time ritual, because when it ends I'm sure I will be in tears xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those moments too - when the house is still and dark and there are just the two of you in the whole world. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete

I love crunchy comments!